Theresa has opened a private practice to help people with diabetes get to and stay in an optimal state of health and well-being.
She leads this team called the “Diabetes Catalysts”. What’s with the name? It is by working together that we create a synergy in finding solutions for your well-being. A diabetes specialist is most impactful when listening to and learning from people living with the condition. You can have this stellar team of expert diabetes educators at a time and place that fits into your busy life. We offer “remote visits” by phone or Skype. Diabetes doesn’t start at 9 a.m. and stop at 5 p.m. Neither do we.
We partner with people who have type 1, type 2 or diabetes during pregnancy. We often find common and not-so-common solutions to help you get to your personal goal. The Diabetes Catalysts can also help you with the latest technology aimed at easing the burden of daily management, all the nutrition ins and outs, understanding glucose numbers, preventing lows, keeping you out of the hospital, feeling safer, dealing with stress, and coping with this very challenging disease.
- Diabetes is not convenient, so Theresa is blazing a new trail to offer solutions to getting qualified diabetes education.
This is done at a time that best fits your schedule and from the convenience of your home or office. No commuting involved so we can meet virtually from anywhere! With less than 10% of people with diabetes ever seeing a diabetes educator, the professional that can make a difference in long-term health, one wonders why? Is it lack of time? Is it not being able to leave work for a class? Challenges getting to a diabetes program or the hours they offer? Well, you now have an option.
The Diabetes Catalysts Team offer a wide range of times and days, from early morning, to throughout the day, to some evening and select weekend appointments.
- Contact Theresa either by:
*Email (via contact form) or
*Call 1-800-259-9782, preferably 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time any day.
- She will send you a consent and assessment form to complete (via email or snail mail, whichever you prefer). It will outline the expectations of the working relationship and payment for services. The assessment form is thorough so she can review it in advance, saving you time and focusing on your needs. She has a team building a secure electronic medical record that allows seamless integration of your information.
- Once you return the documents, she will set up a convenient time for your first remote appointment by phone or Skype. This includes evenings and weekends. Initial appointments are typically 60 to 90 minutes. If you are in need of a registered dietitian, a licensed clinical social worker or psychologist, or an insulin pump expert, she works with amazing certified diabetes educators and will coordinate your care.
- Based on your goals, a follow-up plan will be put into action.
- Contact Theresa either by:
Diabetes Catalysts is a fee-for-service practice. By not billing insurance for our services, we eliminate a great deal of waste and can focus on providing the best possible care for our clients at a reasonable cost. Some, but not all, insurance plans will reimburse for our services. We are happy to provide detailed billing statements for submission to your health plan. Fine, but what does this cost? Hourly rates are reasonable – often less than a cost of a regular massage.
Please call our office 800-259-9782 for detailed pricing for individual consultations and retainer/package services. If you are unable to afford our standard fees, please speak to Theresa about what is possible in your budget. We will do our best to be flexible.
New consultation payment is due at the time the appointment is scheduled. Why? This is to secure your spot and reduce the risk of no showing. We do offer retainer and package services at a discount. They must be paid in full when the service begins. It saves everyone time and hassle with payment processing, invoicing and as such, the savings are passed onto you.
Individual follow-up appointments may be paid at the time of the visit.
Personal checks, cash, Visa, MasterCard and Discover are welcome. Our services qualify for payment from some healthcare spending accounts and flexible spending accounts.
In order to maintain reasonable fees for everyone, those who do not appear for individual scheduled appointments are charged according to our standard fee schedule. You will only be charged for a no-show if you fail to notify us 24 hours ahead of your scheduled appointment time. We believe your time and ours is valuable. Your appointment slot is blocked out for you. We understand emergencies can occur so just keep us in the loop.
It is our policy to exceed the expectations of our clients. If we fail to meet your needs, please bring your concerns to the attention of Theresa Garnero, the owner of the practice, so that we can make it right.
Retainer and special package programs are based on providing service for an agreed-upon time interval, such as 3 months. We promise to make ourselves available for an appropriate number of scheduled appointments and between-appointment consultations during this time. Refunds are not granted to those who make less than optimal use of the allotted time and services.
- The Diabetes Catalysts work as consultants and are not to take the place of your medical providers. Our team is happy to collaborate with your main provider if that is your wish. The Diabetes Catalysts cannot prescribe medication but do educate you on what you have been prescribed, or options to discuss with your physician or provider. Our role is to offer options from which to choose and support you along the way.
- To find a diabetes educator in your area that may be covered by insurance, you can call the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators at 877-239-3233. Otherwise, contact Theresa for individualized and excellent care.
I’ve known Theresa for over 20 years. I have partnered with her in diabetes education through our work and through her non-profit organization, Dance Out Diabetes. She is client focused, and empathetic. She has a deep knowledge of diabetes and knows how to individualize her wealth of information to fit each person with whom she works. She has an ability to think “outside the box.” That and her diabetes knowledge have led to an amazing number of patients who still remember her and how she helped them years later. If you want a diabetes educator who will help you improve your health, Theresa is an excellent choice.
Michelle Barth, MS, RD, CDE